Monday, August 18, 2014

Let's Take a Look at Brushes

Paintbrushes! The bane of my modelling life! 


I know I am only just getting into some serious modelling, but it's not as if I have never done it before. In fact my first model was a P38 built with Dad, way back in the late 1950s and I have been on a war footing with brushes ever since.

In recent years I have collected more than just a few Revell "Deluxe" brushes because I had a model shop just round the corner. According to the German Blurb, they are made using Rotmarder hair. Might just as well be red squirrel for all the difference in quality I can ascertain. Although doing a Google translate tells me that that means sable hair. Sounds good.

Then I found Italeri brushes. Much better as far as I am concerned! And of course... I have Pelikan and other makes of brush in my collection. But when it comes to detail work, the single most important factor is to have a brush that keeps its point. The reason I now have fifteen Revell Painta Lux brushes is that the small point brushes (i.e. 3/0, 4/0 and 5/0) all "fray" after a few days of use. Take a look at this picture:



The brush in the middle is a Revell 4/0 and there are a couple more on the right. From right to left we have 2 Revell, 1 Pelikan "school" brush, 1 Revell standard quality, the much famed and frayed Revell Painta Lux and the Italeri brush. I'll get to the first one on the left in a bit...

Of all those mentioned (and many others) the Italeri brushes have been the nicest for keeping its shape, although the Italeri brush is starting to show its weakness in that the superfine tip is simply due to less hairs and that means less paint carrying. 

But then the revelation!

The brush on the left is a self-branded brush from an airbrush artists' supplier in Germany: Die Duese.

Now I have no claim to fame as an artist of any kind. I am just an enthusiastic amateur modeller learning the trade all over again, but these "professional" artists brushes are a pleasure to use and just look at the tip. I have used this company's brushes now for longer than any other single brush and that tip is as perfect now as it was the day I received it. 

...and the results show why I like them:



Incidentally, this is definitely a work-in-progress shot, so comments later please. ;)


These heads are 1/16th scale and after plenty of practice (about 30 heads painted and repainted in recent days) I think I am getting the hang of things - but let's wait until I have finished a few of these.

Incidentally - heads on sticks? Perhaps these could make a "Game of Thrones" type diorama?...

No comments: